Dennis P. Mulvihill
Dennis is a partner in the firm. Mulvihill's practice is primarily in the areas of product liability, medical malpractice, motor vehicle accidents and workplace injuries. Dennis has received many statewide honors in recent years. In 2012 and 2013, Dennis was named one of the top 50 lawyers in Cleveland and one of the top 100 lawyers in Ohio, by Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters. Dennis has been named an Ohio Super Lawyer every year since 2008, honoring the top five percent of all lawyers in Ohio; and prior to that, was named a Rising Star by Super Lawyers, honoring the best young lawyers in the state. These recognitions are based on the results of statewide surveys of lawyers and peer evaluation.
He is a frequent lecturer, educating attorneys on matters relating to civil litigation, including such topics as: how to communicate effectively with juries, how to identify and develop product liability claims, and how to select an unbiased jury.
In 2012, Dennis was appointed by the Ohio General Assembly to the Ohio Constitutional Modernization Commission as one of twenty public members. The Commission also includes twelve members of the Ohio Legislature. The purpose of the Commission is to the study the constitution, suggest changes, and make recommendations to the General Assembly and public to modernize the Constitution.
In 2010-2011 Dennis was the President of the Ohio Association for Justice, the only state-wide association of trial attorneys who devote their practices to representing people who have been injured by the negligence of others. He has been a member of the OAJ Board of Trustees since 1999.
Dennis has attained recent verdicts in the amount of:
- $2,850,000.00 verdict against a drunk driver and the strip club where she worked. Defendant driver left the defendant club, after having been drinking on the job, in a state of intoxication. She crashed into his client, causing substantial injuries. Jury found both the driver and the club liable for the accident.
- $950,000.00 verdict against Motorist Mutual Insurance Co. for a client who developed fibromyalgia after being struck by a drunk driver;
- $10,375,000.00 verdict along with partner James Lowe, against Ford Motor Company for a client who was paralyzed by a defective seat structure in a Ford Explorer; and
- $2,500,000.00 in a medical malpractice case against a surgeon who pierced the patient's heart during a Greenfield Filter procedure, causing the patient to bleed to death during the surgery. The latter result is believed to be the largest verdict ever for Butler County, Ohio.
- Dennis also helped obtain the largest judgment in the history of the State of Ohio—2 billion dollars—while representing a nationwide class of Ford heavy truck dealers who were the victims of a breach of contract (improper wholesale price manipulation) by Ford Motor Company. That case is currently on appeal.
He is a member of the American Association for Justice (AAJ), the Ohio Association for Justice (OAJ), the Cleveland Academy of Trial Attorneys (CATA), and the Cleveland Metropolitan and Ohio State Bar Associations.
Dennis was born in Grand Rapids, Michigan and graduated from Kenyon College in 1988. In college he was an All-American swimmer and participated in the 1988 and 1992 Olympic swimming trials, in an effort to make the United States Olympic Swimming Team. He taught high school history for two years at University School in Hunting Valley, Ohio, and graduated from Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, cum laude, in 1994.
Areas of Practice:
100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio, 1995
U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1996
Cleveland State University, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland, Ohio, 1994
Honors: Cum Laude
Kenyon College, 1988
Honors and Awards:
Ohio Super Lawyer: 2008-present
Top 100 Lawyer in Ohio: 2012, 2013
Top 50 Lawyer in Cleveland: 2009, 2012, 2013
Appointed to the Ohio Constitutional Modernization Commission by the Ohio General Assembly, 2012-present
Professional Associations and Memberships:
Ohio Association for Justice (OAJ)
President: May 2010-May 2011
Board of Trustees: 1999-present
American Association for Justice (AAJ)
Cleveland Academy of Trial Attorneys (CATA)
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
Ohio State Bar Association (OSBA)